{kind: footer}

This project is integrated with the artistic research project Simultaneous Arrivals, FWF AR 714-G.


(work in progress)


Today, I cleaned up the studio. (We will have a visitor tomorrow). I wanted to connect the first reticule, with the currently eight plates, to a Pi to be able to just let it run some sounds. I made a very simple patch similar to the Shouldhalde layer in the interval 2 experiments on the rooftop. Kind of the other way around—now multiple parts of Shouldhalde could sound across the different channels, and they would be faints and chirpy, insectoid, due to the tiny diametres of the glasses and piezos. It can get strong in the high frequencies, I'm adding a soft low pass. While working on the laptop, I notice that the sounds mix very well with my playlist in Mixxx that goes out to the two JBL C1 in the studio. Precisely opposite of the rooftop. Now, I wonder if the reticules should indeed “live inside” a stronger broadband ambiance / articulation.

I made the photo thinking about the panel statement for Forum Artistic Research; how this nomadic situation extends to the way I have begun working. Would site-specific now refer to the group of artists-researchers “as a site’ instead of the physical site? I should think about this idea.



base: 240 x 200 mm

reticule grid: 24 x 10

reticule spacing: <10 x <10mm

single reticule extent: 2.75mm

quadruple reticule extent: 7mm

glass slides: 105 x 46 x 2mm

slide inclination: c. 19°

piezos: EPZ-35MS29 (ø 35mm)


The slides are actually the byproduct of Naya's stereoscopic project. They are not the same format as the bulk box of slides (actual slides), which are 70 x 70 x 1 mm. The float glass cuts at portrait ratio are much better. Thus we need order more of those.


Just passed through a reverberated sound, which is just amazing. Should investigate this type.


The slide grid seems to work with 4 x 3, thus yielding twelve channels. Or 6 channels with 6 relays.

If you “face” the slides, that would mean a sequence of 1 > 2 > 3 > 3 > 2 > 1, so an opening and closing of space.

The metal sculpture stands have around 20 cm elevation. How far can we get just with the thin copper wire? If we don't dump the electronics between the metal stands, c. 70 cm would be a good guess for cable length.


two-node approach. 6 + 6, asynchronous. Pattern A: 1x 35mm diam; 2x 27mm (?) diam. Areas: 962 mm2 vs 1145 mm2, both 200 Ohms (400 and 400 parallel).


One of two “nodes” for the first Reticule is set up. I laser-cut a matte black acrylic base plate of 178 x 202 mm, fitted with three stereo-amplifiers, a multi-channel audio interface, a Pi 4B, a DC buck converter, a DC barrel for 12V supply, a PIR sensor, and a push button.

I tried the cheap 18W power supplies I had left over from schwärmen + vernetzen, but indeed the amplifiers shut down quickly when playing louder sounds, so now it's back to the 90W Leicke (I guess I could find something in the middle if I ran out of those). The push button has a slightly unfortunate position, so I corrected the fab files for the next cut. The second node will be mirrored to be placed on the right-hand side of the wooden object.

Soon after this photo was taken, while testing the PIR, I pushed over the wooden object, at least only one out of twelve glasses broke. I really have to install the drill stand, so I can make wholes in the base for the metal sculpture stands…


The PIRs are from in|filtration. Somehow I started to worry that they might output more than 3.3V, since they are driven by 5V. I made some manual measurements, and indeed they seem to have a voltage regulation built in, so I've never seen 3.3V exceeded. Someone on the Internet suggested to add a 330 Ohms resistor in any case, I tried that, and the signal is still properly detected. The horribly outdated wiring-pi library can't seem to use the GPIO pin 15 (header 8), so I couldn't use the 3-pin JST as planned from within Mellite, while it did work using a Python script with BCM. I think, since I want to include the 330 Ohms resisitor anyways, I'm going to get 5-pin JST now, and then use wiring-pi pin 1 (header 12), which I verified works in Mellite.