Footnote 19: TETHERED (15min)
- At night, during sleep, I have a dream. I wake and remember it. It is lodged in my mind in what feels like a clear memory. Immediately I decide to remember it and run the emotional-aesthetic sequence several times in order to 'inbed the truth'. The next day I think that I should make a film of the dream, as true as possible. I remember the dream but do not verbalise it or write it down - I try to keep it as pure thought.
- I decide I will make the film.
- I realise that the film will not be a good film, nor of interest to hardly anyone, but I would like to make it anyhow, for me as an investigation into my interests.
- In preparation to film I am successful in gathering equipment and permissions without verbalising any aspect of the dream. I consider to use an actor but decide any outside presence will contaminate the memory and so I decide to use myself and rather spontaneously my dad.
- I do no pre-production. I just wait near the location for several days, eating and drinking and making a holiday.
- I find the energy and go out to film, twice. The material I use is the location, the light, the time, the camera and myslef and my dad.
- Not all of the memory is filmed, and not all of the work corresponds, but I channel the energy and desire and action making.
- I am now reviewing and editing the filmic material. I have as yet not verbalised the dream, but managed to keep it as a memory of the experience of the dream. I feel the memory has not altered too much but perhaps has blended with the memory of the film making process.
- I am unsure how to maintain truth.